Introduction of the best 8700k Motherboard
The motherboard is the central component of any computer, making it crucial to select the perfect one for optimal performance. When building a system with an 8700k processor, choosing a compatible motherboard that fully harnesses its capabilities is necessary. However, the numerous options available in the Market can complicate the decision-making process. In this article, we will navigate the vast array of choices and help you select the ideal 8700k motherboard for your custom build.
What is an 8700k Motherboard?
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty details of choosing an 8700k motherboard, let’s first understand what it is. An 8700k motherboard is a motherboard that is compatible with Intel’s 8th generation Core i7-8700k processor. This high-performance CPU processor can handle demanding tasks such as gaming, video editing, and 3D rendering.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an 8700k Motherboard
Choosing the correct 8700k motherboard can be overwhelming, but don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. Here are the key factors to consider when selecting an 8700k motherboard:
The form factor of a motherboard refers to its size and shape. It’s essential to choose a motherboard with a form factor that is compatible with your PC case. The most common form factors are ATX, Micro-ATX, and Mini-ITX.
A motherboard’s chipset is a crucial factor that determines its performance and compatibility with other components. For the 8700k processor, the ideal chipset is the Z370, which provides the best performance and features for this CPU.
A motherboard’s VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) design is vital for stable power delivery to the CPU. A motherboard with a good VRM design will ensure your CPU runs optimally and won’t throttle under heavy loads.
Expansion Slots and Ports
The number and types of expansion slots and ports on a motherboard are essential if you plan to add additional components to your build. Choose a motherboard with enough expansion slots and ports for your needs.
The RAM compatibility of a motherboard is crucial if you want to maximize your system’s performance. Choose a motherboard compatible with the RAM you plan to use in your build.
The price of a motherboard is always a consideration. Make sure to choose a motherboard that fits within your budget while still providing the features and performance you need.
Top 8700k Motherboards on the Market
Now that we’ve covered the key factors to consider when choosing an 8700k motherboard let’s take a look at some of the top options available in the Market:
#1 ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a top-of-the-line 8700k motherboard with exceptional performance and features. It comes with an advanced VRM design, Wi-Fi connectivity, and a plethora of expansion slots and ports.
- Design and Build: The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a stunning piece of hardware. Its sleek and modern design packs all the essential features needed for a high-performance gaming rig. The motherboard is built with premium components and has an advanced-engineered PCB layout. The clean and symmetrical design of the board makes it easy to work with and offers a good balance in terms of I/O ports and card placement.
- Performance: With Intel’s Z370 chipset and the latest 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 processors, the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero offers top-notch performance. The powerful VRM system can accommodate high overclocking sessions, and the integrated RGB LED lighting offers a stylish aesthetic touch. The motherboard has a well-designed cooling mechanism and a customizable fan control portal to manage your cooling system and ensure stability during intense gaming sessions.
- Connectivity: The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a highly connected motherboard equipped with Wi-Fi, and multiple USB ports, making it ideal for gamers relying heavily on online gaming or streaming.
- Overclocking: Overclocking is one of the most significant advantages of the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard. It boasts a powerful VRM system accommodating 8-core CPUs and high RAM overclocking capabilities. Maximus X Hero offers a fantastic UEFI BIOS system, which allows you to adjust your CPU’s clock speed, temperature and manage your cooling system. The AI Overclocking feature makes the configuration process much easier, and the preconfigured profiles take out the hassle, allowing you to overclock your system effortlessly.
Pros and Cons
- Excellent performance, featuring an 8th generation Intel Core processor and up to 64GB of RAM.
- High-end features including dual M.2 slots and onboard Wi-Fi for fast storage and wireless connectivity.
- Comprehensive cooling options support water cooling, air cooling, and fan control.
- Multiple RGB lighting zones for a custom look in your PC build.
- Easy overclocking with intuitive software for achieving optimal system performance.
- Price may be prohibitively expensive for some users on a budget.
- Comprised solely of vital audio components, it does not feature advanced sound technologies like DTS Connect or Creative Sound Blaster.
- It provides restricted expansion possibilities owing to its compact size and the absence of extra PCIe lanes.
Overall, the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero is a top-tier, high-performance motherboard with excellence in every aspect. From its design and build quality to its exceptional performance and advanced features, it is undoubtedly one of the most advanced motherboards you could wish for. With all that said, it may only be appealing to some, especially to those on a tight budget, but it still offers excellent value for its price.
#2 Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7
The Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 is another high-end 8700k motherboard with excellent performance and features. It has an advanced VRM design, RGB lighting, and many expansion slots and ports. It also has a unique dual BIOS feature that allows for easy recovery in case of a failed BIOS update.
- Design and Build: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 is an impressively designed motherboard with an integrated I/O shield. The motherboard has a sleek black finish, and the RGB lighting adds a touch of sophistication. The embedded 2 oz copper PCB design provides better heat dissipation, ensuring that the motherboard remains cool even during extended gaming sessions.
- Performance: Regarding performance, the Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 is a top-of-the-line motherboard that delivers excellent results. It has the Intel X399 chipset and supports the latest 8th-generation Intel Core processors. The advanced VRM design offers impressive power delivery, while the AORUS AMP-UP audio technology provides crystal-clear audio. This motherboard also has an onboard CNVi 802.11ac Wave2 Wi-Fi module and Bluetooth 4.2 for seamless wireless connectivity.
- Connectivity: The Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 has various connectivity options that will meet the needs of gamers and enthusiasts alike. It has dual PCIe x16 slots, three PCIe x1 slots, and triple M.2 slots for NVMe SSDs. It also has six SATA III ports for storage, ten USB 3.1 Gen1 ports, one USB Gen2 Type-C port, and three USB Gen2 Type-A ports. The motherboard also supports Intel Optane Memory for improved storage performance.
- Overclocking: Overclocking is essential for gamers who want to push their systems to the limit. The Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 offers excellent overclocking capabilities thanks to the advanced VRM design and BIOS. The motherboard also features an innovative dual BIOS feature that allows easy recovery in case of a failed BIOS update. The BIOS is user-friendly, making it easy for beginners to get started with overclocking.
Pros and Cons
- It has a fast and responsive Intel Core i7 processor.
- The sound system with u0022Sound BlasterX 720°u0022 audio technology is well-crafted.
- High memory capacity of up to 64GB DDR4 RAM.
- Has an impressive graphics card in the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 GPU
- Its triple M.2 slots with thermal guards provide optimal storage performance.
- It has a relatively bulky design which may not be suitable for smaller spaces or travel use.
- There are only two USB 3 ports for external devices, which limits expandability options for users who need more connectivity ports for their peripherals and accessories.
Overall, the Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 is an excellent high-end motherboard that offers exceptional performance and connectivity. It features a sleek design, advanced VRM, and overclocking capabilities that impress enthusiasts and gamers alike. If you want a motherboard that delivers on all fronts, the Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 is worth considering.
#3 MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming
View on Amazon
The MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming is a high-end 8700k motherboard with top-of-the-line performance and features. It comes with an advanced VRM design, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, and a plethora of expansion slots and ports. It also has a unique M.2 shield that protects the M.2 SSD from overheating.
- Design and Build: The MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming has an aesthetically pleasing design and a sturdy build quality. It features RGB lighting on the motherboard and additional RGB strips to add bling to your build. It also has a combination of metal and plastic components, giving it a durable feel. The motherboard has a streamlined layout, and the heat sinks on the VRM, chipset, and M.2 SSD provide excellent cooling during extended gaming sessions.
- Performance: The MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming is designed to deliver top-of-the-line performance. It features an advanced VRM design with 18 phases, providing maximum CPU power and enabling it to handle even the most demanding games without hiccups. It also has dual-channel DDR4 memory support that allows you to run up to 64 GB of RAM at speeds of up to 4133 MHz. The motherboard also has onboard buttons that allow you to clear your CMOS or power on/off your system without opening your PC case.
- Connectivity: The MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming has a host of connectivity options. It comes with onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which provide reliable wireless connectivity. The motherboard also has six USB 3.1 Gen1 ports, one USB Type-C Gen2 port, and two USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, which provide lightning-fast connectivity for your peripherals. Additionally, it has 3 Intel Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for faster internet speed and better connectivity to an external network.
- Overclocking: One of the most significant advantages of the MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming is its ability to overclock your system quickly. It has an overclocking kit lets you change the CPU and memory clock speeds, power limits, and voltages. The motherboard also features a BIOS with an intuitive interface that simplifies overclocking. You can even use the MSI Game Boost feature to enhance your gaming performance with just one click.
Pros and Cons
- Supports Intel 8th-generation processors.
- Supports triple M.2 storage devices for faster data transfer speeds.
- Comes with built-in Creative Sound Blaster Cinema 5 audio technology for immersive gaming experiences.
- Includes Killer DoubleShot Pro for faster and more reliable Wi-Fi connections.
- The MSI Mystic Light software suite offers complete control of your system for customizing lighting effects and other peripherals settings.
- 1. Expensive compared to other motherboards in the same class.
- 2. Heatsink design could better cool more significant components such as graphics cards and CPUs, causing them to overheat quickly under load conditions.
- 3. Only supports up to 64GB DDR4 RAM instead of 128GB or higher found on other brands’ boards within the same price range.
Overall, the MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming is an excellent high-end gaming motherboard for gamers looking for a premium building experience. The motherboard’s aesthetically pleasing design, top-notch performance, extensive connectivity options, and overclocking features make it one of the best gaming motherboards on the Market. Its premium components and emphasis on cooling ensure that your system runs optimally without overheating. If you want to set up a high-end gaming PC, the MSI Z370 Godlike Gaming is undoubtedly the right choice.
#4 ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6
View on Amazon
The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 is a mid-range 8700k motherboard with excellent performance and affordable features. It has a good VRM design, RGB lighting, and many expansion slots and ports.
- Design and Build: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 features an ATX form factor and has a matte black PCB design. The motherboard’s build quality is sturdy, thanks to the high-quality materials used in its construction. This motherboard also features a multi-zone RGB lighting system that adds a visually appealing touch to your gaming rig. The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 also comes equipped with an enhanced cooling system to keep your motherboard running smoothly, even under load.
- Performance: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 is built to offer gamers exceptional performance. It comes with premium quality 8 + 2 power-phase VRMs design, ensuring stable overclocking and robust performance. The motherboard has two M.2 slots that run on PCIe Gen 3 x4 for faster read and write speeds up to 32 Gbps. In terms of audio, the motherboard comes equipped with the Realtek ALC1220 audio codec for crisp and clear audio quality.
- Connectivity: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 offers ample room for connectivity. It comes with six SATA 6.0 Gbps connectors for your storage drives and one Ultra M.2 slot for lightning-fast NVMe SSDs. Two USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A connectors on the back panel offer transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbps. It also includes a Type-C connector with Thunderbolt 3 support, which offers up to 40 Gbps speeds. Additionally, multiple HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI connectors are available to install multiple monitors.
- Overclocking: The ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 has excellent overclocking capabilities thanks to its good VRM design. The motherboard offers several features that make it easy to overclock, including the ASRock A-Tuning utility, allowing you to change the frequency settings directly from the Windows interface. Also, the UEFI BIOS of this motherboard is user-friendly and offers a straightforward overclocking experience.
Pros and Cons
- Supports up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM.
- It Comes with a variety of USB ports and connectivity options.
- Offers triple-monitor support with dual HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI-D outputs.
- Features onboard Dual Realtek ALC1220 audio codecs for high-quality sound reproduction.
- Includes multiple fan headers for cooling customization.
- Limited expandability due to the need for additional PCIe slots and M.2 connectors.
- Relatively expensive compared with other Z370 motherboards on the Market.
- No built-in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity options are included in the board design.
Overall, the ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 offers an affordable and robust mid-range motherboard with exceptional gaming performance. The quality construction and enhanced cooling system make this motherboard a viable option for gamers needing a sturdy and reliable motherboard. The motherboard’s overclocking capabilities, ample connectivity options, and robust build quality make it a wise investment for gamers looking to upgrade their hardware.
#5 Gigabyte Z370P D3
View on Amazon
The Gigabyte Z370P D3 is a budget-friendly 8700k motherboard that offers good performance and features for its price. It has a decent VRM design, plenty of expansion slots and ports, and support for up to 64GB of RAM.
- Design and Build: In terms of design, the Gigabyte Z370P D3 sports a blend of black and silver accents, which make for a sleek look. The board is built to last, with a PCB designed with high-quality materials. The board’s layout is well-planned, with reasonable spacing between the expansion slots and ports. The Gigabyte Z370P D3 also features a decent VRM design, which helps to keep the motherboard cool during high-performance activities.
- Performance: The Gigabyte Z370P D3 is a powerful motherboard that can handle many demanding activities. This motherboard supports high-speed DDR4 memory with overclocking speeds up to 4000 MHz. Additionally, the Gigabyte Z370P D3 offers NVMe storage support, which can deliver super-fast data transfer speeds of up to 32 Gbps. All in all, these features make the Gigabyte Z370P D3 a board that can handle even the most power-hungry programs with ease.
- Connectivity: The Gigabyte Z370P D3 offers plenty of connectivity options. The board includes many ports, including USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 2.0, and HDMI. Additionally, the Gigabyte Z370P D3 includes Gigabit LAN, which delivers fast internet connection speeds perfect for multiplayer gaming and other data-intensive activities.
- Overclocking: If you’re interested in overclocking, then the Gigabyte Z370P D3 has you covered. This motherboard features an easy-to-use BIOS, which allows you to tweak settings to get maximum performance from your system. Additionally, the board includes an automatic overclocking option, which is excellent for beginners who are looking to get more out of their system without going too deep into the tweaking process.
Pros and Cons
- Reliability and durability due to quality components.
- Supports Intel 8th-generation processors.
- USB 3.1 Type C port for fast data transfer speeds.
- High-end audio support with Realtek ALC892 audio codec and optical S/PDIF output ports.
- Dual Ultra Durable PCIe Armor with Anti-Sulfur Resistors for improved stability and reliability.
- 1. No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity is available on the motherboard itself.
- 2. Limited expandability options with only two RAM slots, four SATA connectors, and one M.2 slot.
- 3. Limited overclocking capabilities without an extra voltage regulator module (VRM).
Overall, to sum it up, the Gigabyte Z370P D3 is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a budget-friendly motherboard that can deliver high performance. The board features a well-designed layout, a decent VRM design, and a range of connectivity options. Additionally, the Gigabyte Z370P D3 is perfect for gamers or overclocking enthusiasts who want to push the limits of their system. All in all, if you’re in the Market for a reliable and cost-effective motherboard, then the Gigabyte Z370P D3 is definitely worth considering.
Choosing the right 8700k motherboard is crucial for optimal performance and stability in your PC build by considering factors such as form, chipset, VRM design, expansion slots and ports, RAM compatibility, and price. With options ranging from high-end to budget-friendly, there’s an 8700k motherboard for everyone.
You May Also Like
Can I use an 8700k processor on a motherboard with a different chipset?
No, the 8700k processor is only compatible with the Z370 chipset. Using it on a different chipset will result in compatibility issues and reduced performance.
What is the ideal RAM speed for an 8700k motherboard?
The ideal RAM speed for an 8700k motherboard is 2666MHz. It can support higher speeds if the motherboard and RAM are compatible.
Do I need to buy a separate CPU cooler for my 8700k processor?
Yes, the 8700k processor does not come with a stock CPU cooler, so you’ll need to buy a separate one.
Can I use an 8700k processor for gaming?
Yes, the 8700k processor is an excellent choice for gaming due to its high clock speeds and multi-threading capabilities.